Tonawanda News — The local election effects your life more directly than any other vote you cast. Those representing us in our city offices are our only spokespeople for our quality of life and future development of Tonawanda. I bring experience, knowledge of the community and a desire to work for the betterment of all; putting concerns first along with a vision to make Tonawanda better for the future.
I have had the pleasure to walk throughout the Second Ward and talking with many of our neighbors who also agree that to accomplish positive change, we need to begin sooner rather than taking a wait-and-see attitude.
I emphatically believe and will take a more assertive approach in attracting economic development and exercising more oversight in matters of policy, finance and quality of life. I would accomplish this through:
• Promote the establishment of an aggressive marketing plan to draw businesses through a strategy that links Main, Young and Delaware Streets in addition to the redevelopment of the “shovel ready sites” such as Spaulding and the Water Works and address the vacant buildings.
• Prioritize projects insuring the most necessary are addressed and outside monies are utilized for betterment of the city.
• Revitalize the overall city plan to draw new revenue through the use of citizens groups composed of Tonawanda residents.
• Promote policy to provide incentives to homeowners for improvement to their residences.
• Promote policy to address absentee landlords and/or financial institutions in preventing the deterioration of properties.
• Promote policy to replace items such as trees when removed by the city and maintain city services.
Represent the people of Tonawanda
• Be accessible to you and respond to your needs in a timely manner.
• Ensure each resident has the opportunity to know what is happening and why, before it happens.
• Keep an open mind and review all the facts thoroughly on a case by case basis.
• Remain compassionate yet frugal.
On Nov. 5, you have the ability to change Tonawanda for the future of our children, grandchildren and community and I know I am the candidate to put progress in motion.
Jackie A. Smilinich
Candidate, Second Ward
City of Tonawanda