Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Snoopy helped Woodstock build his nest in the day’s Classic Peanuts comic strip.
• Alderman Blake Boyle shocked Tonawanda Democrats by announcing his decision to join the Republican party.
1988 — 25 years ago
• On the third anniversary of his being taken hostage in Lebanon, Terry Anderson’s friends and teachers in Batavia were recalling the independence of his youth.
• Mary and LaVern Walters celebrated their 50th wedding anniversary at a reception in Warren’s Restaurant with 170 guests.
1963 — 50 years ago
• No paper published.
1943 — 70 years ago
• A strike at the Tonawanda Boxboards Division of the Robert Gair Co. Inc. affected most of the working employees of the firm on Tuesday at 1:05 a.m. when it was called. The strike was called over a dispute in wage increases.
• Harry Wilde, prominent Tonawanda auto salesman, was rewarded for his fine work with the appointment as used car sales manager of the Joseph W. Snider Co. Dodge and Plymouth dealers of the Tonawandas. Harry had been in the automobile business since 1935.