Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Camille Domon, the president of the VFW Junior Girls, hosted a state conference at the VFW Post 7545 on the Elgin Street that was attended by 150 girls and women from around the state.
• Members of the NT Common Council continued to discuss the terrace parking policy.
1988 — 25 years ago
• Erie County Legislator Chuck Swanick, along with volunteers from Mt. St. Mary Academy, was obtaining signatures for petitions opposing the creation of a radioactive dump in the Town of Tonawanda.
• Buffalo Bills quarterback Jim Kelly was looking forward to working with the year’s first draft pick – running back Thurman Thomas of Oklahoma State.
1963 — 50 years ago
• Jennnie T. Miller a resident of the Wheel Chair Home in Kenmore celebrated her 100th birthday.
• The youngest of four sets of twins in the family of Mr. and Mrs. Joseph Volk Jr. celebrated their fourth birthday.
1943 — 70 years ago
• The Rev. Stanley R. Boughton, new pastor of the First Presbyterian church, was expected to arrive in Tonawanda from Freeport, Pa. accompanied by Mrs. Boughton and their two children Celece and Richard.
• Playing at the Riviera Theatre: James Cagney in “Yankee Doodle Dandy” — Be a “Yankee Doodle Dandy”…Buy an extra war bond tonight. “It is the outstanding story of the career of George Cohan and one of the most thrilling films ever made. Thrilling for many reasons by its timely patriotism.”