Tonawanda News — 2004 — 10 years ago
• Officers for the 2004 North Tonawanda Volunteer Fire Association included director Tom Pendleton, treasurer Joe Piwtorak, vice president Joe Leavy, president Nick Kupiec, and sergeant-at-arms Eugene Moeller.
• North Tonawanda High School graduate Dr. Cathleen Morano retired after a 35-year career as a professor of psychological studies in education at Temple University in Philadelphia.
1989 — 25 years ago
• No paper published.
1964 — 50 years ago
• The Rev. Theodore Rog, a member of Our Lady of Czestochowa parish, was ordained to the Roman Catholic priesthood.
• Mayor Lloyd Long appointed George Peuquet, Mrs. Stuart Tuck, Mrs. Eugene Bedaska , the Rev. Harold Drawn and Carl Manhart to serve on the Library Board that will run the new library at Main and Roosevelt streets in Tonawanda.
1944 — 70 years ago
• North Tonawanda firemen were fighting a stubborn blaze threatening to destroy the former Weston mansion, later Palmer House, on the corner of Payne and Goundry. An alarm rung in from Box 42 brought the firefighters out but the blaze which apparently started on the roof was covering the whole upper portion of the building.
• Mayor Miles W. Joyce responding to overwhelming public opinion appointed Mr. Thomas J. Lawlor, the former chairman of the North Tonawanda Salvage committee, to the War Council. Mr. Lawlor resigned as chairman of the salvage committee after a Joyce directive had ordered him to cease Sunday scrap collection.