Tonawanda News — 2004 - 10 years ago
• Kenmore teen Katie Reedy, a junior at Nardin Academy, returned from a two-week internship in Pasadena, CA where she had worked on NASA’s Mars mission.
• Tom and Julie Schihl and their children Lauren, Chelsea, and Hannah were part of a national promotion video shoot for the Hartford Life Insurance Company.
1989 - 25 years ago
• Junior bowling “graduate” John Kustich tossed off a 300 game, stringing his 12 strikes in the Ozzie James Memorial at Manor Lanes.
• Coach Dick Jaeger whooped it up with members of the Lumberjacks swimming team after beating Lockport 50-33, capping the school’s first unbeaten season in 20 years.
1964 - 50 years ago
• A strike by 4,100 workers at the Chevrolet engine plant on River Road in the Town of Tonawanda was averted when negotiators reached a tentative agreement 8 minutes before the strike deadline.
• Patricia Groat of North Tonawanda graduated from WAVE recruit training at the Naval Training Center in Bainbridge, MD.
1944 - 70 years ago
• In an investiture ceremony held at the Niagara County Sanitarium three young hospital inmates, among whom was Walter Fesler, a North Tonawanda boy who had been in the hospital for five years and got about on crutches, were admitted to the ranks of Boy Scouts of America. The hospital had a full-fledged and active patrol as part of Troop 88 of the Tonawandas.
• Fred Hilliard of 147 Delaware St., was one of the successful seven participants in a fox hunt in the Alabama Swamps under the auspices of the Erie County Conservation Society. He turned his prize over to a trapper to have the skin cured.