Tonawanda News — 2004 - 10 years ago
• John Gojmerac of Tonawanda was among the area veterans of World War II, Vietnam, Korea and Desert Storm that were awarded one of New York State’s highest military honors at a unique event held at the Riviera Theatre called “In the Company of Heroes.”
• Julia Hy, Eric Equils, Michael Slawich, Donald Truesdell and Teresa Slach, team members from St. John Lutheran School in North Tonawanda, placed second in the annual Academic Challenge, participated in by area Lutheran Schools.
1989 - 25 years ago
• Michael Opalinski of NT was promoted to manager of marketing services at Exolon-ESK.
• Maryann Saccomando Freedman was the guest speaker at the 22nd annual Quality Student Dinner where 90 students were honored.
1964 - 50 years ago
• No paper published.
1944 - 70 years ago
• Tonawanda police sought trace of a young man who stole an automobile at the Curtiss Wright plant on Elmwood Avenue, Buffalo and escaped into the City of Tonawanda after colliding with three automobiles and wrecking the stolen car.
• Buffalo Pumps Inc., the maker of “the pumps servicing the ships driving the Japanese back to Tokyo” was awarded a third renewal of the coveted Army-Navy “E” for excellence in war production. It was the first third renewal in the Twin Cities and the second in the whole top-notch war producers of the Niagara Frontier.