Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• The Tonawanda City Council voted unanimously in favor of Mayor Jack Gallagher’s appointment of Charles Stuart Jr. as the city’s new fire chief.
• Pupils from St. Mark Lutheran School in North Tonawanda entertained residents and visitors of the Carrousel Park Senior Citizen Center with a holiday concert.
1988 — 25 years ago
• President-elect George W. Bush announced the appointment of Rep. Jack Kemp of Hamburg as secretary of Housing and Urban Development.
• The Starpoint Board of Education voted to add French to the 7th and 8th grade foreign language curriculum.
1963 — 50 years ago
• The City of Tonawanda Zoning Board rejected a request by Benderson Development to construct a drive-in theater at the rear of the Twin Fair Store on Young Street. The drive-in would replace the Delaware Drive-in that had been torn down to make way for the Youngmann Highway.
• A fallout shelter to accommodate 2,745 persons was officially activated in a tunnel beneath the Bell Aerosystems plant in Wheatfield. More than 13 tons of shelter supplies costing $5,646 had been purchased for the shelter.
1943 — 70 years ago
• No paper published.