Tonawanda News — 2004 - 10 years ago
• In 10 rounds, Baby Joe Mesi won his Las Vegas bout against Vassily Jirov by the skin of his teeth, but with his perfect record still intact.
• Joseph DiPofi, a 105-year-old ex-marine, was honored by the Young Marines at a ceremony at the Salvation Army in Niagara Falls. Mr. DiPofi served in the marines from 1922 to 1925.
1989 - 25 years ago
• Kenmore resident Eugene Davis, 79 years old, was the oldest person to receive a high school diploma from the Ken-Ton School District. Davis dropped out of high school in 1927, two weeks before the end of his senior year. He earned his diploma through the state’s Eternal High School Diploma Program.
• Delores Kellner, a staff nurse, was honored by Schofield Residence as its employee of the year.
1964 - 50 years ago
No paper published.
1944 - 70 years ago
• Two Niagara Falls girls, one 11 and the other 14, decided to end their school days by heading for Tennessee with a small amount of change to defray their expenses, but they got only as far as the Town of Tonawanda before being apprehended and returned to their parents by the Tonawanda police.
• Charley Vogt, rugged N.T. boy, scored his fourth straight victory in the amateur ring. Charley stopped Leo Polito of Rochester in 2:57 of the third round in a vicious give and take brawl.