Tonawanda News — 2004 - 10 years ago
• Audrey Strong, a music teacher at Ohio Elementary and Meadow Middle School in North Tonawanda, was being honored in “Who’s Who Among American Women for 2004” for her accomplishments as a teacher and her community involvement.
• Students in the Model United Nations club at Kenmore East High School won first place in the 56th annual Model UN General Assembly Conference.
1989 - 25 years ago
• Joseph Anastasi and his son, Commander Dick Anastasi, served together at sea aboard the USS Nimitz. They participated in the Tiger Cruise that allowed crew members returning from a deployment to have their male relatives come aboard and ride with them for the last few days of the cruise.
• Jennifer Graff was selected as a delegate to Empire Girls State by the Stephen Sikora Unit 1322, American Legion Auxiliary.
1964 - 50 years ago
• No paper published.
1944 - 70 years ago
• Tonawanda would soon display an enlarged honor roll Board at the Circle, the complete roster of the names of its men and women serving in the Armed Forces of the United States. Acting on a suggestion by Mayor Clarence Hackett the War Council voted to put Tonawanda in line with other cities in this area in paying public tribute.
• More Scout masters were needed in the Twin Cities if Scouting was to meet its responsibilities toward youth in a world at war. With its ranks depleted by the requirements of the Armed Forces, Tonawanda District scheduled a six-week training course for men interested in tackling the problems of boys.