Tonawanda News — 2003 - 10 years ago
• Ashley Wood and Kate Capicatto, volunteers at the Boys and Girls Club of the Northtowns, Gillmore Unit, served up hot dogs for Advantage After School program participants.
• Capt. Leon Szczerbinski talked to the kindergartners from Spruce Elementary School about what to do and what not to do during a fire, when they visited the North Tonawanda Fire Department.
1988 - 25 years ago
• No paper published.
1963 - 50 years ago
• A pair of Dunlop remold snow tires could be had for $17.98 a pair – federal tax and mounting included – at Jenss – Tires – downstairs.
• Murphy’s Record Department was advertising Tops in Pops Albums for $1.97 each, including Bobby Vinton’s Blue Velvet, The Beach Boys’ Surfer Girl, and the Angels’ My Boyfriend’s Back.
1943 - 70 years ago
• The libel suit pressed by Christ E. Warren against the NEWS of the Tonawandas for articles printed in the 1941 mayoralty campaign ended in a double barreled recoil when a Supreme Court jury judged all articles true upon the evidence adduced in court and found “no cause” for Warren’s libel action and simultaneously brought a verdict of “Guilty” against Warren in counter-suit by the NEWS against the ex-mayor. Both verdicts were unanimous.
• For 13 hours Tuesday, Election Day, the Twin Cities were to be officially dry. No alcoholic beverages were to be sold during the hours the polls would be open, to wit: 6 a.m.-7 p.m., and the county boards said this didn’t mean maybe either.