Tonawanda News — 2003—10 years ago
• North Tonawanda Council President Catherine Schwandt was being referred to as the Chuch Swanick of North Tonawanda after switching her party allegiance from Democrat to Republican.
• Tonawanda’s migration to the Erie County Water Authority system was moving along as scheduled, even after a minor glitch had slowed work along the Two Mile Creek Road pipeline.
1988—25 years ago
• The Lady Lumberjacks cut through the opposition like a hot knife through butter as they swept to the Class A state title at West Point without surrendering a single run.
• Mr. and Mrs. Raymond Wilke of Clinton Street celebrated their 65th wedding anniversary. Mr. Wilke and the former Margaret Garrity were married in 1923 in the St. Francis of Assisi rectory on Mrs. Wilke’s 18th birthday.
1963—50 years ago
• Mr. and Mrs. Chester Samborski of Stenzil St., Wheatfield, received congratulations for winning dance contest finals sponsored by the “Pic-A-Polka” television program.
• After more than 100 years of instructing high school boys in the Buffalo diocese, the Christian Brothers had a home of their own upon completion of their new residence adjacent to St. Joseph’s Collegiate Institute in Kenmore.
1943—50 years ago
• No paper published