Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Erik Mikos, a lance corporal in the Marines, arrived home from Iraq just in time to take his girlfriend Katie Moser to the Tonawanda High School senior prom.
• Students at both Tonawanda and North Tonawanda high schools were relieved to hear that state education officials were suspending the previous week’s Math A Regents exam test results, deeming the test too hard.
1988 — 25 years ago
• No paper published.
1963 — 50 years ago
• President John F. Kennedy made his famous visit to the Berlin Wall where he gazed over the wall from a small platform and saw East German soldiers with sub-machineguns staring back impassively.
• Holly Lewin, Kathy Dole and Marybeth Rischard were among the members of the Town of Tonawanda Aquettes, an advanced girl’s synchronized swimming group sponsored by the town recreation department.
1943 — 70 years ago
• Heat waves danced over the Tonawandas and citizens continued to swelter as the third day of the June heat wave dawned with mercury hitting 76 degrees at 6 a.m. It was cooler than on Thursday when the mercury zoomed to an unofficial high mark of 100. The thermometer at North Tonawanda pumping station rose to 90 at 9 p.m.
• Dorothy Zazychi, Mary Rose Miskho and Patricia Phillips left as delegates of Girl Reserves of the YWCA of the Tonawandas to the summer conference being held at Camp Onanda on Lake Canandaigua. The three Tonawanda delegates were members of Y-Tri Girl Reserve Club whose advisor was Mrs. Henry P. Smith III.