Tonawanda News — 2003 - 10 years ago
• Local residents were watching the rapid construction of the new water tower adjacent to Colvin Boulevard and the Twin Cities Memorial Highway.
• State Attorney Eliot Spitzer said he would like to be governor of New York, but was not yet ready to announce his candidacy just yet.
1988 - 25 years ago
• A genealogist with the New England Historical Genealogical Society in Boston reported that President-elect George Bush and Vice President-elect Dan Quayle are 10th cousins once removed. They were also found to be related to Abraham Lincoln.
• Don Gane, the NT Director of Parks, asked the Common Council to rezone property that he owns at Nash Road and Erie Avenue so that he could construct multiple dwelling units.
1963 - 50 years ago
• Taylor Devices Inc. of North Tonawanda completed a demonstration of a high-speed withdrawal cylinder that was to retract the umbilical cords - providing power supplies from the ground – just before the Saturn V rocket is sent hurtling into space and ultimately to the moon.
• Walt Disney’s “20,000 Leagues Under the Sea” was showing at the Riviera – starring Kirk Douglas, James Mason, Paul Lukas and Peter Lorre.
1943 - 70 years ago
• No paper published.