Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Senator George Maziarz proposed to Beverly Denny on New Year’s Eve at the opening of the Seneca Niagara Casino.
• Local artist Bob Gregg was selecting watercolor and mixed media pieces for his annual “One Man Show” at Partners In Art Gallery.
1988 — 25 years ago
• Mark and Laura Nasca of the Town of Tonawanda were the parents of Marc Richard, the first baby born in Erie County in the new year.
• Winnie Albon of North Tonawanda reported that she found a dandelion in full bloom on her lawn the day before Christmas.
1963 — 50 years ago
• Gary Atkins, star fullback for North Tonawanda’s 1962 Niagara Frontier League championship football team, was selected as a principal appointee to the U. S. Military Academy at West Point.
• Nadine Crofut, arriving at 1:55 a.m. on Jan 1st, was welcomed as the first baby born at Kenmore Mercy Hospital in 1963. Seventeen hours later John Anthony Smith was the first baby born at DeGraff in the new year.
1943 — 70 years ago
• Police chief Fred Hoefert was honored by the Spanish American War Veterans with an appointment as aide to the commander of the organization.
• The News announced that, like other newspapers in the nation, it was able to employ newsboys 12 years of age and older.