The Tonawanda News
Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Pat Mueller and Dr. James Mabry, members of the Exchange Club, launched a project in which local pick-up bands would perform at local events in exchange for a donation to the club’s child abuse prevention fund.
• The Town of Tonawanda Aquatic Center had 4,000 members.
1988 — 25 years ago
• A new rezoning proposal in the Town of Tonawanda would prohibit light industry on waterfront district land which is immediately adjacent to the Niagara River.
• Peter Turecki of North Tonawanda was one of the stars in “Sliding Beauty,” a show sponsored by SABAH.
1963 — 50 years ago
• Owners of 15 riverfront boathouses behind Tonawanda City Hall decided “to fight as long as it takes to preserve their homes.” The City had recently been told by health officials to remove the boat houses or supply sanitary sewers for them.
• Twelve-year-old Claudia Hoca of Kenmore was a featured piano soloist with the New York Philharmonic Orchestra under conduction by Leonard Bernstein at the new Lincoln Center in New York City.
1943 — 70 years ago
• Elmer Clutter of North Tonawanda was appointed to the Bell Aircraft Corporation’s staff as a production test pilot.
• Border Building Company of Kenmore was awarded the winning bid of $193,000 for a 61-bed addition to DeGraff Hospital.