Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• North Tonawanda native and former member of the 914th Airlift Wing, Sgt. Capt. Maureen Allen sat next to First Lady Laura Bush during the President’s State of the Union address.
• The Niagara County IDA approved a tax incentive package for Niagara Falls Attraction and Entertainment Corporation for its proposal to transform Summit Mall into a Christmas retail complex.
1988 — 25 years ago
• Airman Jennifer McPherson completed basic training at Lackland Air Base in Texas.
• The Surplus Outlet opened at 23 Main St., Tonawanda, and featured new, used, scratched and dented appliances.
1963 — 50 years ago
• Robert Frost, America’s unofficial poet laureate, whose warmth and honesty bridged the gulf between nations torn by cold war hostilities, died at the age of 88.
• Dr. William Kneer was named chief of staff at DeGraff Memorial Hospital, succeeding Dr. Howard Maldiner.
1943 — 70 years ago
• In Los Angeles, Robert Folkes, 21, a dining car cook, said that he refused to re-enact the murder of the pretty bride in lower 13 because he was afraid of “that dead woman’s ghost.”
• Members of the Kiwanis club had an opportunity to see movies of production of the Airacobra, from blueprints to actual flying. The picture was shown through the courtesy of Bell Aircraft.