Tonawanda News — 2002 — 10 years ago
• A resolution was passed by the Tonawanda city council for a voter referendum on transferring the city’s water system to the Erie county Water Authority.
1987 — 25 years ago
• Members of Nurses United approved a collective bargaining agreement by a vote of 201-9 to officially end the 14-week strike at DeGraff Hospital.
1962 — 50 years ago
• North Tonawanda won the T-NT game, but 13 of its football players were suspended from all athletic activities at the school after painting huge white letters – NT – on the blacktop surface of the parking lot at Tonawanda High School.
1942 — 70 years ago
• North Tonawanda native George F. Rand, president of the Marine Midland Corporation and the Marine Trust Company of Buffalo, died at age 51.
• Tonawandas’ Unit No. 264, American Legion Auxiliary, celebrated their 20th anniversary at their regular meeting at the Legion Hall.