Tonawanda News — 2002 — 10 years ago
• Due to glitches in the Adelphia phone service to both the North Tonawanda City Hall and the Tonawanda City Hall, phone calls were being missed or interfered with. Officials were asking residents to be patient as the kinks were worked out.
• Jim Fretthold, the manager of Fretthold Funeral Home, had garnered $6,000 in grants from the York Children’s Foundation. The money was going to Twin Cities Community Outreach, the Boys & Girls Club, and Camp Kiwanis.
1987 — 25 years ago
• Dennis Fura of Sanborn and Susan Rufrano, a Niagara Falls native, co-wrote a song “Help Find the Missing Children.” The record was released as a 45rpm single and sold at area record stores.
• Congressman John LaFalce hosted a seminar, “Today’s Women in Business,” at Niagara University.
1962 — 50 years ago
• Eight Tonawanda school crossing guards, two meter maids, 16 members of the Emergency Corps and two newly appointed patrolmen completed first aid emergency courses at the Red Cross.
• Extra security was imposed in federal court in Nashville after a man attempted to shoot Jimmy Hoffa who was on trial for conspiracy.
1942 — 70 years ago
• No paper published.