Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Members of the 107th Air Refueling Wing were activated and deployed to Southeast Asia.
1988 — 25 years ago
• The North Tonawanda Board of Education finally approved a reorganization plan which would move 9th graders to the senior high school, group 6th, 7th, and 8th graders together in a middle school, and have kindergarten through 5th grade pupils at elementary levels.
• The Rev. Vernon Bigler, pastor of First United Methodist Church of North Tonawanda since 1984, announced his retirement from active ministry.
1963 — 50 years ago
• While on routine patrol, a Town police officer discovered a fire at Eddie’s IGA Market on Kenmore Avenue that caused $75,000 in damages.
• At a meeting of the Kenmore Mercy Guild, Mrs. Joseph Heintz showed her collection of crosses from various parts of the world.
1943 — 70 years ago
• WA Hardy, speaking for Exolon Co., said it was hoped to open the company’s new plant on East Niagara St. by May.
• Girl Scout Troop 242 and Brownie pack 384, both of St. Marks Episcopal Church, celebrated their eighth and first birthdays respectively by taking part in a musical program arranged by Florence Hromowak of Troop 242.