The Tonawanda News
Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Canal Fest officials offered to reimburse the City of Tonawanda up to $2,000 per year for 5 years in an attempt to stop the yearly bickering over the city’s incurred costs from the annual event.
• Baby Joe Mesi took just 90 seconds to defeat Robert Davis in front of a nationally televised audience on ESPN2, capturing the North American Boxing Federation title.
1988 — 25 years ago
• Gregory Bravo, a junior at St. Joseph’s Collegiate Institute, won a National Science Foundation Scholarship to participate in the Roswell Park Memorial Hospital summer research program.
• The Friendship Festival ‘88 to promote the relationship between the Western New York area and Canada was slated to run for four days. Events included tall ships and train rides.
1963 — 50 years ago
• Dennis Weaver saddled up for his ninth year as Chester Good, Marshall Dillon’s limping sidekick on “Gunsmoke,” after failing in attempts to get another show next season.
• President John F. Kennedy was greeted by thousands of Irish as he visited Dunganstown, County Wexford, the birthplace of his great-grandfather Patrick Kennedy.
1943 — 70 years ago
• No paper published.