The Tonawanda News
Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• NASA astronaut and crew member of the Space Shuttle Atlantis, Lt. Col Roy Walheim, discussed his trip with employees of Taber Industries. Taber supplied equipment for space missions.
• Kristin Hess won the starring role in “Bye, Bye Birdie” at Cardinal O’Hara High School.
1988 — 25 years ago
• Cramer Industrial Supplies, Inc on Webster Street had recently expanded with an increase in new industrial customers.
• The North Tonawanda Jazz Ensemble took first place and four NTHS musicians were named to the “All-Star Band” during the Rainbow Jazz Festival in the Niagara-Wheatfield High School auditorium.
1963 — 50 years ago
• New officers of the Swiftwater Power Squadron included William Rose and Ray Kolbe.
• NASA research pilot Joseph Walken visited Bell Aerosystems to check on the panel instrument arrangements for a lunar landing vehicle.
1943 — 70 years ago
• The installation of a large class of candidates for Tonawanda Aerie in the club rooms at Morgan and Delaware Streets in honor of Worthy State President Charles J. Dolzen of Schenectady was attended by several hundred Eagles from Western New York and northern Pennsylvania.
• Robert W. Hardy, aviation machinist’s mate first class, of North Tonawanda, was awarded the Air Medal for his part in serial raids against the Japanese in the Aleutians. He was also promoted from second to first class.