The Tonawanda News
Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Forty NT high school students staged a walk-out to protest what they said were dwindling senior privileges.
• General Motors announced the Tonawanda Powertrain plant would produce a new 3.9 liter engine after a $300,000 upgrade to the facility. GM also got $2 million in incentives from New York state for the project.
1988 — 25 years ago
• St. Peter’s United Church of Christ celebrated its 100th anniversary in a celebration that involved former pastors and excerpts from the original worship service in 1888.
• Deacon Lorene Potter was presented for ordination to the Right Rev. David Charles Bowman in ceremonies at St. Mark’s Episcopal Church in North Tonawanda.
1963 — 50 years ago
• The nuclear powered submarine Thrasher with 129 men aboard was declared lost at sea. It was the Navy’s worst submarine tragedy in peace or war.
• The American Legion Post 264 Band dedicated a concert to Ruby Hewitt, publisher of the Tonawanda News, in recognition of her efforts to improve and beautify the Tonawandas.
1943 — 70 years ago
• No paper published