Tonawanda News — Lindbergh Elementary in the Ken-Ton School District was ranked as the Tonawandas’ best elementary school in Business First’s annual ratings.
Lindbergh placed 38th out of 276 area schools, and 25th out of the 220 public schools on the list. Last year, Lindbergh placed 44th. The City of Tonawanda’s three elementary schools came in next, with Mullen coming in at 63rd, Riverview at 66th and Fletcher at 69th.
Last year, Mullen was ranked 45th, Riverview was ranked 56th and Fletcher came in at 80th.
Business First’s rankings are based on the latest four years of test results and graduation rates available from the New York State Education Department. The formulas make use of official statistics to calculate an annual score on a 100-point scale for each district or school. The 2014 ratings are based on data from 2010 to 2013.
Clarence’s Ledgeview Elementary was ranked as the best elementary school in the eight-county region, replacing the 2013 winner — Christ the King.
Here are the rest of the local elementary school rankings:
• Ohio School in North Tonawanda, 76th
• St. Amelia School, 105th
• St. Francis of Assisi School, 106th
• Edison Elementary in Ken-Ton, 109th
• St. Andrew’s Country Day School, 112th
• Hoover in Ken-Ton, 113th
• Hamilton in Ken-Ton, 116th
• Ben Franklin in Ken-Ton, 143rd
• Meadow School in North Tonawanda, 145th
• St. John the Baptist, 156th
• Drake School in North Tonawanda, 161st
• CS for Applied Technologies, 178th
• Roosevelt in Ken-Ton, 182nd
• Spruce School in North Tonawanda, 187th
• Holmes in Ken-Ton, 230th
• St. Matthew Lutheran School, 239th
Business First also released a list of local high schools that performed well on Advanced Placement tests. Kenmore West came in at 25th, and 459 AP tests were taken at the school. Sixty-two percent of the scores — or 289 of them —were in the three-to-five range.
Tonawanda Middle and High School was ranked 16th, with 84 AP tests taken at the school. Fifty-seven scores — or 67 percent — were in the three-to-five range.