Tonawanda News

Local News

June 29, 2014

New path opens for cyclists and walkers in the Town of Tonawanda

Tonawanda News — Locals now have a new place to walk and ride their bikes with the recent completion of the Town of Tonawanda’s Sherwood Greenway Trail, a project that’s been in the works for more than 10 years.

The two-mile path connects the Buffalo Riverwalk with the Two Mile Creek Trail in Sheridan Park. The project was a joint effort by the federal government, the county, the town, the state Department of Transportation and the state Thruway Authority. Coordination between those parties to plan and begin the project took 10 years. Talks started in 2003 and construction began in the spring of 2013.

“Tonawanda’s trail system is completed and finally connected from the Shoreline Trail all the way to Sheridan Park, meaning that thousands of residents along this connector will now be able to walk and bike their way to the Niagara River without having to cross busy highways or roads along the way,” Erie County Executive Mark Poloncarz, said.

The trail was complete in the fall and is now open for use.

“It gives much more access to the waterfront, which we are working to develop, and we encourage everybody to make use of the trail,” Town Supervisor Anthony Caruana said.

The trail cost $1.045 million, and 75 percent of the cost was covered by the Federal Highway Administration. Erie County provided the remaining 25 percent of funding, about $258,000.

“Although it took years of planning and many obstacles had to be overcome, I am proud to stand here today at this ribbon-cutting event for the Sherwood Greenway Train just shy of one year since its groundbreaking,” Assemblyman Robin Schimminger, D-Kenmore, said. “Completion of the trailway and related upgrades to pedestrian signals and crosswalks make the Town of Tonawanda’s trail systems more harmonious, accessible and safer for our residents and visitors to take advantage of our beautiful Niagara River waterfront.”

Text Only
Local News