The Tonawanda News
Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• John and Kate White were considering the possibility that the seventh annual White’s Turf Crew and City of Tonawanda Kids Fishing Derby might draw over 1,000 kids to the shore of Niawanda Park. The derby had increased from 75 participants in its first year to more than 600 last year.
1988 — 25 years ago
• Second grade students at Meadow School entertained their pen pals from Ohio School at a picnic. The youngsters exchanged autographs and gifts and competed in a tug of war.
• “Fiddler on the Roof,” North Tonawanda’s first high school musical in over 10 years was a rousing success according to director Norbert Skibinski and delighted audiences who attended.
1963 — 50 years ago
• Prince Charles, the 14-year-old heir to the British throne, faced a possible caning according to strict Gordonstoun (school) rules because he had nipped a cherry brandy in a Scottish pub. The incident had caused a royal commotion.
• Mr. and Mrs. Franz K. Stawitzky of Tonawanda observed their 50th wedding anniversary at an open house in their home on South Niagara Street. They were married at Corpus Christi Church, Buffalo on June 23, 1913.
1943 — 70 years ago
• No paper published.