Tonawanda News — 2004 — 10 years ago
• The Tonawanda Cemetery Committee was continuing to make major improvements to the city’s three cemeteries. New fencing, which was completed last year, would be followed up with new roadways, tree pruning, and new tree planting.
• Local runner Daniel Andolsek was all set to participate in his first Boston Marathon. He would be joining five other local runners for the event.
1989 — 25 years ago
• Cassata’s Dome Stadium on Main Street in Tonawanda was sold to Bob Swiegard of the Town of Tonawanda. The bar’s new name will be the Tonawanda Dome Stadium.
1964 — 50 years ago
• No paper published.
1944 — 70 years ago
• At the meeting of the Board of Directors of the Boys’ Club of the Tonawandas, Russell H. Paris was elected president for the 1944-45 year. The contractor had been identified with the directorate of the Boys’ Club since its inception in 1939. Roy F. Waltemode of the Wurlitzer Company was named first vice president and Frank W. Markovitz of Schenck Hardware was second vice president.
• Eighty members of the Tonawanda High School basketball and swimming squadrons were guests of the Tonawanda High School Athletic Association at a dinner in the high school. Other guests included the Board of Education and coaches Christian Tussing of the swim team and Paul Powers of the basketball team and Walter Rose, supervisor of physical education.