Tonawanda News — 2004 - 10 years ago
• Grace Evangelical Church was presenting a discussion on the recent best-selling book “The DaVinci Code.” Fact or fiction?
• North Tonawanda Alderman Russ Rizzo was appointed to the Niagara County Homeland Security panel.
1989 - 25 years ago
• Raymond Tymas-Jones of the Town of Tonawanda portrayed Mingo in the Greater Buffalo Opera Company’s production of “Porgy and Bess.”
• Jamestown native, Lucille Ball died at age 77. She was the star of the long-running television show, “I Love Lucy” and co-founder of Desilu Studios.
1964 - 50 years ago
• No paper published.
1944 - 70 years ago
• Walter Thomas Cholewa, son of Mr. and Mrs. Peter Cholewa, 32 Eighth Ave., and Robert Lincoln Clark, son of Mr. and Mrs. Edward J. Clark, 16 Allen St., both Seamen First Class, were commended together for their heroic six sleepless days and nights manning deck guns of the SS William Dean Howells during the hellish battle of Salerno when they were dive bombed 36 times while at anchor.
• Members of the Rotary Club and guests were shown pictures of a bear-hunting trip to Alaska for the “biggest bears in the world.” The movies were provided through Rotarian Ed Webb and Rotarian Frederick Hamp Jr., the club’s greatest movie picture enthusiast who used his projector.