Tonawanda News — 2004 - 10 years ago
• Leashed mutts and pedigrees of all shapes and sizes were welcomed to the first Dog Daze event at Veterans Park, sponsored by the Tonawanda Youth Board.
• The YWCA of the Tonawandas was displaying a life-size, limited edition replica of Spiderman which was to be given away in a drawing during the upcoming Canal Fest.
1989 - 25 years ago
• The Tonawanda National Little League set a fundraising goal of $20,000 for a major rebuilding and improvement project for the 39-year-old youth baseball facility.
• Judge Richard Kinzley married Seaman Lawrence Sawyer and Elizabeth Montgomery at a City Hall ceremony on the last day of Seaman Sawyer’s five-day leave.
1964 - 50 years ago
• Quarterback Jack Kemp signed his 1964 contract with the Buffalo Bills in the American Football League.
• The 20th Century Fund issued a report predicting that by 1975 the average American family would be earning $9,525 and that the average worker would be working 37 hours.
1944 - 70 years ago
• The drive of the students of North Tonawanda High School for funds to purchase a permanent Honor Roll with which to honor former students in the service rolled up a total of $1,450.
• Debt free after many years of concerted effort, Redeemer Lutheran Church celebrated the occasion with a ceremony of burning of the mortgage and note and a banquet which taxed the capacity of the church’s dining room. The event also was in honor of the 25th anniversary of the Rev. H.G. Kleiner’s pastorate at Redeemer Church.