Tonawanda News — 2004 — 10 years ago
• Retired Marines Scott MacLeod and William Dickman, both members of the Conrad F. Kania Detachment No. 230, won awards in a marksmanship competition with American Legion posts from across the country.
• North Tonawanda High School students Nicolette Critelli, Allison Wilton, Amy Grezskowiak, Lauren Ricchiazzi, Katherine Bogdon, Cami Tallmadge and Ruby Merritt were selected to take part in the New York State Summer School for the Arts program.
1989 — 25 years ago
• The North Tonawanda High School concert band, marching band and jazz ensemble returned from the Dixie Classic Azalea Festival in Richmond, VA. The jazz ensemble won the First Place Jazz Trophy, the concert band took the second place award in their category and the marching band took third place in the parade.
• Margie Rorrison, Jeff Luber and David Boncraft were among 20 athletes participating in Special Olympic events at Parker Field in the Town of Tonawanda.
1964 — 50 years ago
• The Tonawanda Red Warrior Band held their annual concert. Band members included Fred Nussbaum, Cathy Holmes, Keith Gerrish and Judy Platter.
• NT Council members met with State Education Department representatives in regard to establishing a horticulture school. The school would be modeled after the one operated by the Niagara Parks Commission and the Ontario Government.
1944 — 70 years ago
• At the regular monthly meeting of the Psi Omega sorority held at the home of Miss Margaret Schoenfeldt of 241 Rumbold Ave., Miss Audrey Schroeder was given her informal initiation, becoming an active member of the sorority.
• Boy Scout troop 88 enjoyed a hike in Dolds Woods with cooking in the open the high spot of the program, staged for the purpose of providing meals and passing advancement tests. The old game, capture the flag, was played.