Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• The NEWS featured a story on Charles Clark who had been a member of Gratwick Hose for 64 years, having joined in 1939.
• The Peace Bridge was closed for over 3 hours after a bomb threat was called in to the FBI.
1988 — 25 years ago
• DeGraff Hospital was planning to become the first Niagara County hospital to ban smoking within its building. The ban would be implemented in September.
• Brian Baumbartner, a Town of Tonawanda police officer, was elected president of the Kenmore-Town of Tonawanda Board of Education.
1963 — 50 years ago
• No paper published.
1943 — 70 years ago
• A sale at Pickard’s store at 267 Oliver St. offered a complete 11-piece set of “Glasbake” ovenware for an amazing price of $1.88.
• Tonawanda councilmen directed the city engineer to secure permission from the state for an emergency water line across the Delaware Bridge between both Tonawandas as a defense safeguard in case of an enemy attack.