Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Niagara County Legislator William Davignon handed over the deed to the Wheatfield Street county building to North Tonawanda Mayor David Burgio.
• North Tonawanda School Officials decided to generate their own electricity at the Meadow Drive Complex with a massive natural gas-powered generator.
1988 — 25 years ago
• The City of Tonawanda Council authorized legal action against Spaulding Fibre for unpaid sewer and water bills totaling $200,000.
• Len Pimm of Rochester purchased Millstream Lanes.
1963 — 50 years ago
• Major new wings recently completed at Cardinal O’Hara High School increased the two-year-old school’s capacity to 750 pupils.
• Mayor Durkee of N. T. was wheeled over the Bascule Bridge in a wheelbarrow by Tonawanda Mayor Long after the N. T. team won the tug-of-war at the 5th annual Tonawandas Day at Crystal Beach.
1943 — 70 years ago
• The grand opening of N.T.’s Nor-Ton Courts, built on 30 plus acres near the end of Goundry Street, was hailed by officials as having the most space, sun and fresh air in the history of war-time housing.
• Tonawanda Alderman Leon Peuquet spearheaded an investigation to find the source of pollution that killed thousands of fish in the Niagara River last week.