Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• A very tall pile of bikes near the Long Homestead Bridge was leaving Tonawandans guessing as to what it was. It was one of 59 vehicular art displays throughout Erie and Niagara counties.
• North Tonawanda High School sophomore Jessica A. Stenzil raised $5,000 in order to travel to Australia for the Kanga Cup soccer tournament.
1988 — 25 years ago
• No paper published.
1963 — 50 years ago
• The Sample featured a nautical fashion line in red, white and blue in its ads.
• After morning worship services, cornerstone-laying ceremonies for a new education building were held at the First Methodist Church in North Tonawanda.
1943 — 70 years ago
• Rules for Coffee Ration Book: Ration stamp No. 23 is good for one pound of coffee which must last five weeks.
• The Montreal Royals defeated the Buffalo Bisons in 10 innings in the only game played in the International League. Outfielder Johnny Corriden, a pinch-hitter, singled to drive in the winning run for the Royals.