Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• The NEWS featured a story on former North Tonawanda High School wrestling coach Dan Fire, who was now working as the postmaster and mayor of Effingham, Kansas, a farming community of roughly 650 people.
• The E. J. Doyle Paint Co., a family-owned business at 2070 Niagara Falls Blvd., collapsed when construction work on the building ruptured a natural gas line.
1988 — 25 years ago
• Cindy Pullman won a 1962 MG replica in a raffle sponsored by the Boys and Girls Club of the Tonawandas.
• Joe Campbell of Tonawanda captured top honors in the Second Annual Canal Fest ‘88 Four-Mile Run. Barbara Sauer took the female crown.
1963 — 50 years ago
• American and Korean soldiers of the United Nations Command patrolled gingerly along the Korea Truce line on guard against further infiltration from Communist North Korea.
• Tonawanda police skindivers recovered Bucky Bucholtz’s hydroplane, the “Tu Bad Too,” which had flipped and plunged to the bottom of the Niagara River during the recent Earl Warfield Inboard Regatta.
1943 — 70 years ago
• No paper published.