Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• A nationwide network of Amber Alert systems was expected to be in place within the year. Only five states had Amber Alert systems in place in 2001.
• State Sen. George Maziarz made a firm promise that the long-delayed Robinson Street Bridge project would finally be completed by the middle of August.
1988 — 25 years ago
• The North Tonawanda Senior Center offered its members lessons in horseshoes. Frank Lawler was the instructor.
• Fred and Mary Edwards of the Town of Tonawanda were selected to appear on the Sally Jessey Raphael television show on the topic of mixed marriages.
1963 — 50 years ago
• No paper published.
1943 — 70 years ago
• American G.I.s took Caronia on the northern coast of Sicily and headed towards Messina while the Allied Command geared up for the invasion of Italy.
• Fire Chief Fred Knight took a step to ease the housing shortage for war workers by converting the Black Horse Tavern on River Road into apartments.