Tonawanda News

Local News

November 16, 2013

Do You Remember Nov. 16?

Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago

• The Towpath Café at 11 Main St. in Tonawanda was featuring a Polish Night in addition to its regular Saturday night Karaoke with Guido.

• The public got its first look at the design proposals for what would possibly become the most-visited memorial in the world — the victims’ monument planned for the World Trade Center site.

1988 — 25 years ago

• “Clock Doc” Jay Soeman repairs grandfather clocks and even makes house calls to do so.

• Designer Sportswear offered an in-house custom computerized embroidery and logo service. 

1963 — 50 years ago

• Construction was progressing on the new wing at DeGraff Memorial Hospital. An old adjacent building was set for demolition to allow continuation of the expansion project.

• Lt. Joseph Mang was counting the days until his retirement later in the year after 33 years on the Kenmore police force.

1943 — 70 years ago

• The Tonawanda Post War Planning committee was collaborating with the Tonawanda Housing Authority in bringing about the elimination of sub-standard housing and replacement by modern low-rental dwellings. The committee considered off-site clearance plans in creating better housing situation advanced in the Colin Kelly Heights subdivision.

• “Music of the Allies” provided the theme for the program of the meeting of Fortnightly Club at the home of Mrs. Stanley Rand, Pine Woods Drive and arranged by Mrs. Harry Lockman, assisted by Miss Bessie Perrigo. A paper explaining the songs of the Allies was read by Mrs. Lockman, following which her daughters, the Misses Jean and Jane Lockman, sang the national anthems, folk songs and other favorite songs of the Allies with Miss Perrigo acting as accompanist.

1
Text Only
Local News