Tonawanda News — 2003 - 10 years ago
• The Erie Niagara Sunrise Exchange Club presented Ohio Street Elementary fifth-grader Meghan Lipinoga the first Shirley Lukasik Memorial Award for her essay on “What Makes America Beautiful.”
• Former director of the Boys and Girls Clubs of the Northtowns, Mike Basehart, had finally completed a long-time dream by hiking to the top of Mount Kilimanjaro in Tanzania, Africa.
1988 - 25 years ago
• A 6.3 earthquake with an epicenter north of Quebec, Canada rattled parts of the northeast quadrant of the U.S. including the Tonawandas.
• Santa’s Village, sponsored by the Town of Tonawanda and volunteer fire companies, opened at the Sheridan Park Golf Course and offered rides and refreshments.
1963 - 50 years ago
• The annual Boy’s Club turkey shoot wound up with Michael Campbell and Daniel Bruning the winners. The traditional competition used guns which propelled ping-pong balls.
• The name of the U. S. Space Center was officially changed from Cape Canaveral to the John F. Kennedy Space Center in honor of the late president who had been assassinated one week earlier.
1943 - 70 years ago
• No paper published.