The Tonawanda News
Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• North Tonawanda’s Jerry Sullivan was the chairman of a signature Victorian Christmas event at the Theodore Roosevelt Inaugural Site in Buffalo.
• The Riviera Theatre was selling special chocolate bars with the theater’s name on them just in time for Christmas stockings.
1988 — 25 years ago
• James Bradford of Grand Island and an employee of DDF Transportation was honored as the New York State Highway Hero for 1988. While on an assignment in Colorado he saw a camper on fire and rescued the occupants of the camper and extinguished the fire.
• John Guiher was the winner of a 1989 Pontiac Grand Prix in a puzzle contest held by Burger King on Delaware in Tonawanda. The chances of winning were one in 217,778 with 12 visits to purchase product and get a game ticket.
1963 — 50 years ago
• No paper published.
1943 — 70 years ago
• The First Air Scout Squadron of the Tonawandas was organized in Troop 127 of the Tonawanda Chapter of Boy Scouts under the leadership of Rueben Krause, associated with every phase of scouting for the past 19 years.
• Advertisement: Women Wanted/Industrial Truck Operators — Any Woman Can Operate One of these Trucks. We pay you while you learn. You supply the brains — the truck does the work. All work done mechanically. Eight hours a day — six days a week.
Work in an Essential War Industry.