The Tonawanda News
Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Remediation of the land surrounding the former Booth Oil site on Robinson Street was nearly complete. Topsoil and hydro seeding were expected to finish off the project within the week.
• Bishop Henry Mansell was in town to bless the newly renovated gymnasium at Cardinal O’Hara High School.
1988 — 25 years ago
• The 27th running of the Mark Sternin 4.2 Mile Handicap Run through Tonawanda was held. It was the only handicap race of its kind with slower runners given head start on faster runners. All runners receive a traditional cup of broth followed by a beer at the end of the race.
• The Buffalo Bills clinched the championship of the Eastern Division of the NFL’s American Conference by defeating the New York Jets by 9-6 in overtime.
1963 — 50 years ago
• Niagara County Community College was formally dedicated. The college was housed in the former Shredded Wheat plant on Buffalo Avenue in Niagara Falls.
• Diana Potts, a second-grade student at Delaware School, proudly introduced her parents to her teacher, Miss Janice Spoth, and her classmates as part of American Education Week.
1943 — 70 years ago
• No paper published.