The Tonawanda News
Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Church Women United of the Tonawandas participated in an interdenominational program called May Friendship Day at Salem Church on Morgan Street.
• Eagle Scout candidate Joel Greinert of Wheatfield got a challenge he didn’t count on when the garage that stored more than 1000 cans of food for his final project went up in flames.
1988 — 25 years ago
• No paper published.
1963 — 50 years ago
• The Most Rev. James A. McNulty was installed as the sixth Bishop of Buffalo.
• Gov. Nelson Rockefeller appointed a New York City Republican to replace Mary Louise Nice, a Tonawanda Democrat, on the State Commission on Human Rights.
1943 — 70 years ago
• Neighborhood stores and big markets enjoyed booms of business on the last day of April as housewives swarmed to dispose of red and blue ration stamps before they became invalid for the new month.
• “Frankenstein meets the Wolf Man,” starring Bela Lugosi and Lon Chaney, was set to open Sunday at the Star Theatre.