The Tonawanda News
Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• The Most Rev. Henry J. Mansell, Bishop of Buffalo, celebrated a Mass of Thanksgiving at Our Lady of Czestochowa church as part of the parish’s 100th anniversary celebration.
• Doctors at Lockport Memorial Hospital and Inter-Community Memorial Hospital were recently equipped to use a new camera pill .
1988 — 25 years ago
• John Sherman, Dale Luke and Richard Perry were elected to the City of Tonawanda School Board.
• The Niagara County Volunteer Firemen Bowling League celebrated its 50th anniversary and honored 82-year old James Reid with a plaque in recognizing that he was the only charter member of the group that was still an active bowler.
1963 — 50 years ago
• Governor Nelson Rockefeller and his bride of two weeks, the former Margaretta (Happy) Murphy, began a honeymoon in Caracas, Venezuela.
• First Lt. Robert V. Smith of the Town of Tonawanda assumed command of Company H, First Armored Rifle Battalion, 174th Infantry at a Change of Command ceremony at the Tonawanda Armory.
1943 — 70 years ago
• Sheriff Britt announced that his motorcycle squad had gone on duty for the season and that they would see to it that the United States’ speed limit of 35 miles an hour would be enforced.
• The DeKalb, Illinois, plant of the Wurlitzer Company sent its bowling team to North Tonawanda to bowl for the championship of the Wurlitzer Company.