Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• The announcement that the Delaware Armory would close its doors signaled an end to more than 100 years of military service for the building listed on the New York State and National Registers of Historic Places.
• Mike Meyer and Project Pride organized a Floral Contest for Oliver Street which was meant to beautify the street and bring pride to the neighborhood. A $100 prize was offered.
1988 — 25 years ago
• No paper published.
1963 — 50 years ago
• President John F. Kennedy celebrated his 46th birthday.
• Boy Scout Troop 572 received its charter at a ceremony at the First Methodist Church in North Tonawanda.
1943 — 70 years ago
• “Corregidor” was the big show at the Star while the Riviera featured the musical “Hello, Frisco, Hello” starring Alice Faye, John Payne and Jack Oakie.
• The Dinette at 107 Main St. in North Tonawanda invited everyone to take the family out to eat Sunday or Decoration Day. The Sunday Special was $1.