Tonawanda News — 2003 — 10 years ago
• Mighty Taco announced plans to move from its Main Street location to the Hollywood Video Plaza on Niagara Street.
• A new state law required adequate shelters for dogs left outdoors in inclement weather. Violators would be fined.
1988 — 25 years ago
• For the third time in a month, fire raged through St. Christopher’s Catholic Church, this time virtually destroying the church and closing its adjacent school.
• The Rev. Barbara Harris was elected to the position of assistant bishop for the eastern Massachusetts diocese, making her the first woman bishop in the Anglican Communion’s 450-year history.
1963 — 50 years ago
• John Bush and Thomas Boergens were awarded Carnegie Medals for Heroism. The two teenagers saved the life of a girl who was drowning at Empire Beach near Sherkston.
• Members of the Sheridan Taxpayers Association Merger Study Committee claimed that a “City of Kenmore” could cost $200,000 more than the present village/town government structure.
1943 — 70 years ago
• No paper published.