Tonawanda News

October 25, 2013

Hazmat team cleans up acid spill on Payne Avenue

By Danielle Haynes danielle.haynes@tonawanda-news.com
The Tonawanda News

Tonawanda News — Payne Avenue was shut down in both directions between Walck and Ridge roads Thursday when police discovered three one-gallon bottles of muriatic acid — also known as hydrochloric acid — spilling into the street, North Tonawanda Fire Chief John Lapham said.

The bottles of industrial cleaner, which is used to clean concrete and pools, most likely fell off the back of a truck as it traveled down Payne Avenue around 2 p.m., Lapham said. Two bottles landed near the intersection with Ridge Road across from Memorial Pool and the third landed just north of Chipman Road.

Two fire engines, a rescue and a command vehicle responded to the scene, as well as a hazmat team.

”It was unknown at the time of dispatch what was leaking so we responded with full assignment just to be safe,” Lapham said. “We were able to identify the product immediately.”

Hazmat crews neutralized the acid, packed it and sent it off for destruction, he added.

Muriatic acid “will hurt human tissue and it will kill vegetation,” Lapham said, but no injuries associated with the spill were reported and the substance didn’t come into contact with nearby grassy areas.

North Tonawanda police dispatch said they closed down Payne Avenue until about 2:45 p.m., by which time the spill was cleared. Both directions of the street were closed between Walck and Ridge roads along with the southbound lane between near Chipman Place, Lapham said.

Contact Sunday Lifestyle editor Danielle Haynes at 693-1000, ext. 4116 or follow her on Twitter at @DanielleHaynes1.