Tonawanda News — Emergency workers responded to an early morning fire Monday when a 93-year-old woman used her panic button to contact the authorities.
The woman, whose named was not released, met police officers at the front door of her home at 799 Lee Ave., North Tonawanda Fire Chief John Lapham said.
"The officers noticed all the smoke and called the fire department," he said.
The fire was believed to have started at 7:50 a.m. in a front bedroom, though an official cause of the blaze has yet to be identified. The fire was estimated to cause about $30,000 damage to the home, $10,000 of which was to the woman's belongings.
The woman was evaluated by first responders at the scene and found to be uninjured. A relative from Niagara Falls met her at the scene and took her to his home, where she will be staying. Firefighters fought the fire for nearly an hour.