Tonawanda News — A fire caused significant damage to a City of Tonawanda home Friday night, and the cause of the blaze hasn't been determined, Fire Chief Charles Stuart said.
The department was notified of the fire at 11:41 p.m. When authorities arrived, they saw heavy smoke and fire coming from the second floor of the two-story apartment building.
Firefighters entered the structure through a rear door and could hear a noise coming from inside the home.
"They found a semi-conscious cat. A second pet cat was found unconscious in another room and both were removed," a press release from the department states. "Both cats were treated for smoke inhalation by Twin City Ambulance Paramedics and survived."
The residents of the second-floor apartment were not home, and the first-floor residents escaped unharmed.
Firefighters extinguished the fire, which had extended through the apartment and the attic, in about 20 minutes. Firefighters stayed on the scene to remove smoldering contents and to ventilate the smoke.
Stuart said that a Brookside Terrace resident reported the fire to authorities after driving by and seeing smoke.
"We were lucky, if it had been a few more minutes, we would have lost the entire building," Stuart said, noting that combustible material was stored in the attic. "It would likely have extended throughout the entire building very rapidly."
The department has not determined the cause of the fire, which occurred in the front area of the second-floor apartment, where a bedroom and living room are located. Damage to the building has been estimated at $30,000, and $10,000 worth of damage occurred to the structure's contents.
No firefighters or civilians were injured, and the North Tonawanda Fire Department and Sheridan Park Fire company assisted the City of Tonawanda department at the scene.