Tonawanda News — 2004 - 10 years ago
• Melissa Frawley, AmeriCORPS VISTA Volunteer, talked to students at Tonawanda High School about the importance of volunteerism, telling them about her experiences as a volunteer for AmeriCORP, during Wellness/Health Day at the school.
• The 85 members of Tonawanda’s American Legion Band, Post 264, were preparing to give a preview concert at the Riviera Theatre. The preview was for their upcoming concert to be given at Carnegie Hall in New York City.
1989 - 25 years ago
• Former Town of Tonawanda resident, Philip Nataro, was signed to do two film roles in “Paradox- Back to the Future Part II” and “Space Chase.” He was also being considered for a role in the Fox Network series “21 Jump Street.”
1964 - 50 years ago
• No paper published.
1944 - 70 years ago
• Fire that broke out in the attic of the two story frame building at 459 Oliver St., did damage estimated at $8,000 by Fire Chief Fred F. Knight. The fire was attributed to a defective chimney. The structure was occupied on the first floor by Star Cleaning Works and on the second floor by two apartments.
• Esker Underwood, aged 29, of 11 Lockport Ave., was arraigned by North Tonawanda City judge Howard C. Praker on disorderly conduct charges laid by Lloyd Himes, 28 Seymour St., Tonawanda. Himes charged Underwood with using obscene language before Mrs. Himes.