Tonawanda News — 2004 - 10 years ago
• A new law in New York required tobacco companies to sell the new “fire-safe” cigarettes that self-extinguish if they were not puffed on regularly.
• “Remember When,” an oil painting by Evelyn Gordon depicting the original Jenss Department Store, was on display at Barnes & Noble.
1989 - 25 years ago
• Nicolle Beyer of Kenmore East High School traveled to France to spend four weeks living with a French family.
• The Sanborn Fire Company Band had been invited to participate in the National Independence Day Festival and Parade in Washington D.C.
1964 - 50 years ago
• No paper published.
1944 - 70 years ago
• Allied Supreme Headquarters in London stated that the military continued to widen a breach in Nazi positions southwest of Caen against fierce resistance.
• The Republican National Convention gathered in Chicago to nominate N.Y. Governor Thomas E. Dewey as their candidate to face Franklin Roosevelt in the coming election.