Tonawanda News —
2004 - 10 years ago
• The City of Tonawanda received a $40,000 matching grant to help with the addition of another 649 feet of floating dock space at Gateway Harbor.
• The Exchange Club of the Tonawandas named North Tonawanda High School student Steven Vollmer Youth of the Month.
1989 - 25 years ago
• Five Pentecostal families who left the Soviet Union to escape religious persecution settled in the Town of Tonawanda where they were being sponsored by the New Covenant Tabernacle Church.
• The annual St. Francis Lawn Fete featured pony rides, games, picnic food and a chicken barbecue.
1964 - 50 years ago
• No paper published.
1944 - 70 years ago
• Tonawanda Police responded to a call from George Kohler whose outboard motor boat had been stolen from a dock behind his auto repair shop at 29 Young St.
• The Twin Cities were set to premiere in a major bond drive which was to begin with the launching of a flotilla of navy landing craft from the Bison Shipyard which would sail via the canal to the Statue of Liberty selling war bonds.