Tonawanda News

The Town

March 2, 2014

Fire guts Brighton Road home

Tonawanda News — A plumber soldering a broken pipe was to blame for a house fire Saturday on Brighton Road that caused an estimated $175,000 in damages, firefighters said.

Brighton Fire Co. First Assistant Chief Shawn Tracey said his department got the call at 3:56 p.m. that a wall in the home was on fire. By the time firefighters arrived it had already spread to the roof.

The plumber and the home’s residents escaped without injury, Tracey said.

A thick cloud of black smoke engulfed much of the neighborhood Saturday afternoon as firefighters battled the blaze in near-freezing temperatures. The home is located at 1014 Brighton Road, at the corner of Woodstock Avenue.

Also responding to the scene were Kennilworth, Sheridan Park and Ellwood fire departments. Kenmore was left on standby. 

Tracey said $100,000 in damage was attributed to the structure itself with $75,000 in contents damaged or destroyed.

Brighton cleared the scene at 7:20 p.m. and the Red Cross was called in to provide emergency assistance to the victims.

1
Text Only
The Town