Tonawanda News

The Town

December 17, 2013

Town: Apartment fire causes $200,000 in damage

Tonawanda News — A fire in a Sheridan Drive apartment caused $200,000 worth of damage Sunday and displaced residents from 15 other units, Brighton Fire Department Assistant Chief Shawn Tracey said.

"The majority of the fire was in an apartment. The resident had left his stove on and fell asleep," Tracey said. 

Firefighters received the call at 11:23 a.m. and saw smoke coming from the Town of Tonawanda structure when they arrived. A studio apartment on the second floor was in flames, but firefighters had trouble entering the residence, which was cluttered with clutter and clothes.

Paramedics treated the resident of the apartment for smoke inhalation, but he was not transported to the hospital and no other injuries were reported. By 2 p.m., firefighters had the fire under control and completed their investigation, Tracey said. 

"Fifteen units were affected with water damage and smoke damage," he said. "Red Cross had to come in and help with whatever they needed." 

Authorities estimated that the fire caused $200,000 worth of damage to the structure, which is a former motel, and $30,000 to the building's contents. 

Elwood, Kenilworth and Sheridan Park firefighters also assisted the Brighton department, Tracey said. 

Text Only
The Town